Because it's that time.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Went to Miami. Completely contemplated becoming The Other Woman. Declined the actual offer to be The Other Woman. Quit skating! Ran for exercise and didn't totally hate it. Heard the neighbourhood I grew up in described on NPR as "the ghetto".
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Didn't make any, la la la! And probably won't make any this year, either.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, one of my two best friends in life had twins in June and my roommate from my senior year in college had a baby in May.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I wouldn't say we were close, but my great aunt's husband died in October.
5. What countries did you visit?
Ireland. God, is that it? What a lame year.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in most of 2008?
A permanent job (with the attendant benefits and steady income); an apartment or condo with a bedroom.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 4 - WOOOOOOOOOT!
August 28 - Julie Coin d. Ana Ivanovic, "Okay, Ana lost but that's not the important part; I just found $4000 on the street, what should I do?"
June 4 - Welcome to the world, PTwins!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Uh... I kind of feel like I didn't achieve anything this year. I'm thinking... yeah, drawing a blank. Oh, oh, wait, if it counts, I figured out some things I definitely don't want to do with my life, which if not exactly as useful as figuring out what I do want to do with my life at least helps narrow things down a bit.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Being too sporadic about my job search.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Eh. I got really sick with the flu just a few days before I went to Ireland, but that was about it.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Plane tickets (Miami, Dublin), an LCD TV (welcome to the 21st century, me), my amazing new leopard patent leather Via Spiga shoes, a red t-shirt (you laugh, but it took me 20+ years to figure out that I actually can wear red).
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
People who voted for Obama! People who voted against Prop 8! People who threw shoes! Zeljko Krajan! The amazing blogger known as 40 Deuce (even though she loves Ana Ivanovic)! People who saw this year's campaign as a chance to educate themselves about the world around them! Tina Fey!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Sarah Palin! People who voted for McCain! Bush and Cronies (8 years in a row)! People who voted for Prop 8! USA Gymnastics! Marta Karolyi (same diff)! People who think that their money or religion or defense policy is more important than other people's civil rights! People who watch and/or are on lame reality shows (except ANTM)! Mindy Kaling (for never updating her blog)!
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent and loans, my friends. Rent and loans. Second verse, same as the first...
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The election! The Olympics! Also, name a tennis tournament, I got excited about it.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
"Believe", LOL. Also, "Untouched".
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
Hmmm, a teeeeensy bit sadder, but nothing serious, just some end-of-year pile-ons.
ii. richer or poorer?
Definitely poorer. Ugh.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I wish I'd played more tennis. I wish I'd made myself buckle down and apply to things. I wish I'd had more time to spend with the Ps. I wish I'd spent more time considering the increasingly frequent suggestion that I sit down and write something.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Lazing around while unemployed.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
At home with my family and oldest friends. :)
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
22. How many one-night stands?
None, and only one even close call. :-P
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Oh God, I don't know. Probably Daily Show.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hmmm. Actually, no!
25. What was the best book you read?
I actually read kind of a lot this year, but right now I can't remember anything specific. God, I feel like a moron.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That running to pop music (helloooooooo, Kate Ryan and Beyonce) is a lot of fun. The way I rock out to "Ella, Elle L'a" and "Single Ladies" on the treadmill is absolutely embarrassing. But I still do it.
27. What did you want and got?
More open frendships, a lot greater ease with relating to other people, more comfortable with expressing myself. Oh, and a Prince O3 White tennis racquet. That thing is the shiz.
28. What did you want and not get?
A real job and some professional respect.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
I can't even remember anything I saw this year besides Quantum of Solace. Which was okay and all, but almost certainly not my favourite thing I saw all year, even if I can't remember what else I saw.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 30 (gah) and I slept off the Goldschlager hangover I acquired while being propositioned by a sleazebag I used to work with. Then my parents came up and we went out to Rosa Mexicano where I pretended not to be hungover while drinking pomegranate martinis. Then I probably passed out fo realz.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I'm not sure. The easy answer is a job I don't hate myself for doing, but I have to admit that the job I hate myself for doing gives me a lot of flexibility to do things I love doing, like running off to Miami with L and K; jaunting off to NYC to hang out with L and C; or taking a few weeks at a time to hang out at the Ps' house. I guess not having school debt would make any year of mine immeasurably more satisfying, though.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Banana Republic-ified. Also, a lot of skirts and dresses. I got kinda girly!
33. What kept you sane?
Working out and playing tennis. Never underestimate the therapeutic value of whacking the shit out of a little yellow ball. When you get good enough to learn to whack the shit out of it directly at someone else, it's even better. Also, talking to my friends incessantly. This was the year I learned that people are really, really great and you don't have to do it alone.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I'm not sure I fancied any public figures this year. I'm obsessed with the Safin/Safina clan, but it's less "fancying" and more "I want to watch your reality show". Oh, okay, fine, I wouldn't throw Marat Safin out of bed for eating crackers, but that's just logic.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Actually, this was the year I found my inner feminist; first in watching how Hillary Clinton got treated during the primaries, then in being outraged that Republicans thought that picking Sarah Palin for VP made it all better that their official platform says I have no control over my body and no legal right to equal pay for equal work. Suck it, misogyinst assholes.
36. Who did you miss?
Max. I still miss Max. He should come back. Soon.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
S at work, even though she ditched me on my birthday drinking binge to go pack for a trip or something lame. :-D
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
I have two:
1) Do not make major life decisions based entirely on fear of what other people might think.
2) Your friends are there for you, too. It's not a one-way street.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?
"MY SECRET COMBINATION IT'S A MYSTERY FOR YOU."